Friday, June 24, 2011

Life-crafting


Both eyes wide open
Watching as the world unfolds
A baby learning
JB 06/24/11
-------------------------------
Shelly is watching the movie ‘Babies’ on Netflix.  We watched this when it was in the theatre, and I didn’t much care for it.  I had expected more narration and purpose, but really it's simply a movie where the differences in lifestyle are allowed to speak for themselves and contrast with the similarities of the development each child undergoes.  Watching it now, I think that is the better choice.  It’s still not a movie that I would recommend to others on a regular basis, but it succeeds in painting a picture.
Sometimes I find myself trying to logically think through the ideal parenting style, as if there is a specific methodology that will assist me in raising the perfect child (when we have one).  It’s a failing of mine to overanalyze. On the bright side, I might still be painting apartments for a boss on work release from prison if I didn’t fret over such details.  Still, while there is value in being prepared and thoughtful before deciding to have a child, there are times (like now) when I recognize the truth that my idea of a perfect upbringing would be a handicap.
Watching this movie, you see clearly how stark the contrast is between brightly colored books, toys, or baby yoga; and being outside, playing in the dirt, or being leashed to the couch while your parents are out working.
We humans, though mere mortals, are yet capable of withstanding a wide array of circumstances, from extreme depravity to extreme excess.  We are equally capable of overcoming nearly any parental disorder, from neglect to the unique brand overzealous life-crafting that myself and my society are prone to.  It really solidifies in my mind the resilience of the human form and I sort of feel like the only things that matter are trying, paying attention, and giving your children a wealth of different experiences so that they are comfortable in a variety of settings.  The rest of it they'll manage themselves, never knowing the difference.

No comments: